Who we are
At Northern Code School, we are guided by a conviction that coding is for everyone, and that people from all walks of life can enjoy it and benefit from learning it.
We believe that coding is fun and useful, and that it's an empowering skill for anyone to have, no matter what they do or what they're interested in.
We believe that coding can be taught in an exciting, engaging way that sets the student up for their own, self-guided success.
We believe in community. #darebin
So we hope you'll join us, and take a leap into the world of programming!
Meet the Team
Alec Sloman is an experienced software developer, teacher, and the Founder of Northern Code School. He teaches on subjects ranging from programming and digital literacy to public sector IT reform. He is known for his passionate and engaging style.
He is the designer of our Foundations of Web Development short-course and is passionate about:
- Making programming accessible and fun
- Increasing digital literacy across all segments of society
- Teaching a useful skill to people from all walks of life
- Empowering people on their coding journey
Milly Schmidt is a front-end software engineer, UX designer and business owner.
She is an advocate for digital literacy, design thinking and creative collaboration for both children and adults, and teaches and speaks regularly around Melbourne. She believes that:
- Digital skills are incredibly valuable for anyone who is looking to gain independence, explore their potential and contribute to the global community
- Learning how to harness the power of code helps us solve better problems, and solve them in smarter ways
- Simple language free from buzzwords and jargon is key to explaining technology and making it more inclusive.
Malia is the co-founder of Brother Alec, one of Thornbury's longest-standing and most-beloved cafes.
She has considerable experience in developing sustainable, community-focused businesses with a deep focus on creating excellent customer service experiences.
Malia brings both her expertise and business connections as Northern Code School's Business Advisor.